About SIP trunk
SIP trunk is a technology that is outdating the traditional analogue telephony. It allows you to stream your voice over internet. In that way you can use it to talk on the phone and it’s much cheaper than regular telephony.
Many companies today choose this technology due to many reasons. One of the many benefits with SIP trunk is the possibility to call for free all over the world and you just buy a bundle that works as a total solution. You can simply call wherever you want.
For some companies it’s important to adapt to technical development and have a working method that ensures that you can always provide tremendous customer service. To be able to requires the right type of software which can easily be provided with this solution.
- Total solution – A solution that includes everything for the company.
- Hardware – The physical unit needed for a company.
- Software – Technology needed for the units.
- Internet telephony – Ability to cal over the network.
- SIP trunk – voice over internet technology customized for companies.
- Streaming – Uploading of service online, e.g voice.
- Network – Connecting to other units available online.
What is SIP?
SIP stands for Session Initiation Protocol, which means a system where everyone who has the network installed can communicate with each other. SIP allows you to call anonymously, however, it’s required to document all users according to law, which in essence means an anonymous company service that isn’t fully sound. There are various different programs that works in SIP and that can provide you with the service.
When you want everything under the same category and make it as easy as possible, this service is excellent. If you also want to keep costs at a minimum you should choose SIP technology. You can even call landline telephony which therefore means it’s full coverage.
SIP Trunk facts
- SIP trunks aren’t really trunks per say due to the fact that there is no physical circuit. There is only one voice path that is directer over a carrier’s IP network with VoIP technology.
- SIP trunks can be used for more than just calls such as; video, presence and chat.
- SIP creates a more diverse and competition friendly market due to the diminished need to pass over PSTN.
- SIP may entail issues with emergency calls since the trunk isn’t static and it may therefore seem like the call is coming from another location.
- SIP enables more flexibility in regards to number since the area code isn’t decided by a geographic place.
SIP trunk for efficient telephony
If you have a company that used telephony companies where you might not be able to get through. Or if you experience that you need to interrupt phone calls early when costs reach to high and due it can’t satisfy your customers. Then you should most definitely change to SIP.
It’s a user-friendly and efficient solution where you don’t need advanced installations. You likely already have internet at the office and therefore already have the prerequisites to start using SIP. Also, you can connect individual units to the network.
By connecting to individual units, you can work wherever you may be.
SIP trunk history
Before SIP trunk became an available tool for companies, analogue landlines were universally used. Fiber optics slowly started replacing the traditional copper wires and thus allowed companies to offer much higher speed. The fiber optic networks represented the basis required in development of the internet we know today.
VoIP protocol was developed in the late 1970’s and the first phone calls made using the technology happened in the same decade. This provided a kickstart for the digital voice revolution in telecom. In the early phase of VoIP development there were several protocols available to call. Researchers developed the first SIP protocol in 1996 that was aimed to allow for voice connection over internet. Thereafter it was standardized to implement VoIP.
SIP trunks became all the more popular with company’s increased demands of more effective telephony solutions. By moving calls over internet, this allowed companies to replace the need for separate networks and the only thing needed was one network to transfer all types of media. SIP trunks don’t require any physical cables that connect a company to its supplier. In fact, it’s a digital connection that allows the supplier to offer telephony services that are far more effective and cost efficient than analogue calls. SIP trunk also makes it possible for companies to call and receive calls from traditional networks as well as mobile units, computers, etc.
The development of the SIP trunk industry is moving forward at a fast pace and suppliers compete with each other in delivering a service that is as easy to use as VoIP: SIP technology doesn’t need to change due to its main benefit being high adaptability. SIP is already one of the most popular protocols to process sound, video and chat sessions. And with all the more video forms of communication gaining momentum, better codecs will be used to ensure great quality in video conferences.
The benefits with SIP trunk
When your company has decided to move to SIP trunk technology, calls will be managed over internet, just like all other forms of media. So similarly to how you never have to pay for separate e-mails, the same applies to calls between colleagues in the company. It doesn’t matter where they’re located or if they’re working from home. This may also entail great cost savings in regard to maintenance costs for two different networks that in essence serve the same purpose. You can send video, chat, and call – all through the same system instead of using different software for each. You can also connect different services such as voicemail, IVR, etc – all in one bundle! You can also integrate SIP trunks with other types of software such as CRM or ERP systems. that in essence can help boost productivity. A few other great benefits of SIP trunks include;
- Lower costs – Since less lines need to be installed in the office and suppliers keep pushing call costs, it can really reduce overall costs. SIP trunks also eliminate passing through another part such as PSTN and the telecom suppliers and their customer. Internal calls with implemented SIP trunks are also free since the technique is simple and can reduce costs related to installation, configuration, maintenance, hardware and scalability.
- Better customer service – Due to the possibility to add more numbers as well as international numbers that are connected to your PBX, it results in lower costs and more alternatives for customers to call you.
- Flexibility –SIP trunks aren’t bound to a location which allows companies to move geographically without having to change their numbers or inform customers. Apart from that it’s also easy to add more channels to manage increased call amounts. SIP trunk is also a reliable technique compared to the traditional telephony services that may experience interruptions in connection.
- Inga VoIP-gateways – With SIP trunks you can avoid buying and managing VoIP-gateways due to calls being transferred over IP. This means that the call quality will be much better since no extra conversions are applied.
Last update 4/12-19