Phone meeting, what is it?
A phone meeting is a modern way to meet in today’s society. It saves a lot of time in a stressful environment and is a great alternative from a climate standpoint. Discover what the technique offers today and how it works.
When it’s time to meet in a company and different topics will be discussed, a phone meeting is a good alternative if you’re located in different places. It saves you traveling time and you can focus on the meeting without having to book a train or similar.
A phone meeting can include several participants. Depending on your carrier and technique it may work a little differently. A person can usually call several participants of you can get a number to call and in that way connect yourself.
- Great for the environment since you can avoid traveling
- An effective way to meet
- Several participants can connect
- Easy to use technique
- Nothing more than an regular mobile phone is needed
- You can avoid traveling and in that way save time
- Phone meetings are just like regular meetings, but with a phone
Try to have a phone meeting
If you’re used to meeting face to face it may feel a little strange to not see the person you’re talking to. We recommend to try it out to learn the ropes and get used it before switching over completely-
Suggest phone meetings as an alternative and inform your colleagues of the time you’ll save. Tell them the benefits and how it’s useful for the company in the greater sense.
A phone meeting can be done anywhere in the world as long as you have coverage on your mobile phone. It doesn’t matter if you’re in a facility at work or at a conference in Rome. When something important is discussed everyone can take part no matter there they are.
What to think about during a phone meeting
- Prepare before and practice your opening phrase – Before your meeting, it is useful to set a clear agenda and distribute it to all participants. Include the purpose, participants, time, and list of topics to be covered. This immediately sets the tone for the meeting and helps you keep a clear goal with the meeting.
- Use a clear, pleasant tone of voice with plenty of volume and good enunciation – When you talk on the phone, your voice is your only medium. Therefore, it is extra important that you are friendly, engaging and clear with your messages. A tip is to record your voice in a conversation at some point to listen to how you sound afterwards. Do you mumble or speak clearly? Are you helpful or difficult to understand?
- Listen actively and do not interrupt – When you can’t simply nod to show that you are listening, you can use verbal nods in conference calls instead. For example, by saying “interesting,” good “, “I understand” or “can you tell me more, please “. It is also important to be patient and let everyone talk at their own pace without you directly jumping to conclusions.
- Find a quiet environment and avoid multitasking – To concentrate during the meeting, it is important to eliminate all distractions. Close the door if you are in an office and try to minimize the background noise as much as possible. Think of it as giving exactly the same attention as if you were in the same room as the person on the phone.
- Please avoid speakerphone – The absolute best would be if you have the opportunity to get a good headset, but if you do not have it, at least avoid the speakerphone. If you do not speak directly into the phone, the sound tends to suffer which only makes the overall meeting suffer.
- Ask questions directly to the person in question – When you are in the same room, it is easy to look at the person you want to ask a question to. But since this is not the case in a conference call, it is important that you make sure the right person gets the right question. A tip here is to use their name before you start. For example; “John I know you have experience with this, could you tell me a little bit more?”.
Phone meetings in the future
The technique for phone meetings has existed for long but wasn’t publicly famous. With an environmentally friendly approach today it’s a great solution. You can also have regular or video calls. Working from home is becoming more popular which this solution promotes.
Phone meetings should be seen as a possibility and an extension of the traditional meetings where everyone has to be on the spot at 13.00. Here it’s possible to avoid missing information if you’re located elsewhere and everyone can participate on their own terms.
Phone meetings with Soluno
We offer telephony for companies and can help you streamline workflows with unified communication. We offer solutions that help all different company sizes, and with our plaftform you can organize meetings with internal and external partners through your mobile, computer or landline phone. We also offer a strong integration with MS Teams that allows you to turn the platform into a fully fledged telephony solution. Want to learn more about how we can help you? Contact us and we will gladly help you out!
Latest update Nov 2020Glossary